- 1kg/2lb Braising Beef
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1 Garlic Clove, finely chopped
- Bouquet garni
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 175g/6oz Button Onions
- 100g/4oz Button Mushrooms
- 50g/2oz Butter
For the marinade
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Carrot, sliced
- 1 Clove, crushed
- 4 Peppercorns, crushed
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 Bottle Red Wine
1. Place the marinade ingredients in a large bowl together with the chopped onion, carrots and meat. Mix well and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours.
2. Remove the meat from the marinade with a slotted spoon and pat dry with kitchen paper. Strain the marinade and reserve.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan until very hot, add the meat and brown on both sides.
4. Add the garlic, sprinkle with flour and cook over a high heat for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Add the reserved marinade, enough stock to cover the meat, bouquet garni, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 1 and 45 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a frying pan, add the onions and mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned.
7. Add the mushrooms and onions to the beef after the initial cooking time, mix well and continue to cook for a further 15 minutes. Serve hot.
» France Recipes