- 1kg/2.2lb Squid
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 275g/10oz Tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Bouquet Garni
- 1 tbsp Tomato Purée
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 300ml/10fl.oz. Dry White Wine
- 300ml/10fl.oz. Water
- 1 tbsp Freshly chopped Parsley
- 1 tbsp Freshly chopped Basil
1. Prepare the squid by holding the body with one hand and the head and tentacles with the other. Firmly pull apart. Cut the tentacles away from the head. Discard the head, entrails and the ink sac and wash the main parts and tentacles thoroughly, both inside and out, in cold running water. Then dry on kitchen paper and cut into long thin strips.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and squid and sauté until lightly browned.
3. Add the tomatoes, bouquet garni, whole cloves, tomato purée, salt and pepper and cover and simmer over a low heat for 40 minutes.
4. Remove the bouquet garni and garlic cloves and discard and transfer the pieces of squid to a heated serving dish. Keep warm.
5.Reduce the cooking liquid by boiling rapidly if it seems too liquidy. It should be of medium thickness.
6. To serve - pour the sauce over the squid and sprinkle with the chopped basil and parsley. Serve very hot.
» France Recipes