For the Carrot Domes
- 200g/7oz Carrot, grated
- 25g/1oz Butter
- 100g/4oz Potato, peeled and cubed
- 50g/2oz Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 2 small Eggs, beaten
- Plain Flour
- 12 Baby Carrots, scraped
- 4 Sprigs of Basil
For the Tomato Coulis
- 50g/2oz Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 50g/2oz Butter
- 1 x 400g/14oz Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 6 Basil Leaves
- 120ml/4 fl.oz. Vegetable Stock
- Salt and Pepper
1. Make the tomato coulis by gently frying the onion and garlic in 25g/1oz of the butter until soft and transparent. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, basil and stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and mash to a very smooth consistency.
3. Meanwhile, melt half the butter in a saucepan and gently fry the carrot for about 4 minutes.
4. In a bowl, mix together the carrot, potato, Gruyere and egg together. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Dust 4 small ramekins with flour and fill each with the carrot mixture. Cover with clingfilm and steam for approximately 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, boil the baby carrots in salted water for 10 minutes or until just tender.
7. Whilst the carrots are cooking, pass the tomato mixture through a sieve and then return to the pan and reduce slightly by boiling rapidly. Keep warm.
8. To serve - unmould the carrot domes onto individual plates, surround with the tomato coulis and garnish with the baby carrots and basil leaves.
» France Recipes