- 800g/28oz Dried White Haricot Beans, pre-soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tbsp Goose Fat
- 1kg/2.2lb Belly of ( Pork with rind)
- 225g/8oz Tomatoes, chopped
- 200g/7oz Carrots, sliced
- 2 Onions, each studded with 6 whole Cloves
- 1 Bouquet Garni
- 4 Garlic Cloves, halved
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 4 pieces Preserved Duck or Goose (Confit)
- 675g/1-1/2lb Toulouse Sausages
1. Place the beans in a large saucepan, cover with fresh cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the goose fat or lard in a large flameproof casserole, add the pork which has been cut into cubes and brown on all sides.
3. Add the carrots and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
4. Add the drained beans, bouquet garni, garlic, salt, pepper, onions and reserved pork rind which has been cut into strips. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and cook over a low heat for about 1 - 1.5 hours.
5. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas Mark 3 and brown the sausages in a little fat.
6. Add the duck or goose confit and the browned sausages to the casserole, pushing them down into the beans. Then transfer the casserole to the oven and cook for a further 2 hours, uncovered, pushing the brown crust which will form back down into the beans with a wooden spoon several times during the cooking period (traditionally six times). Serve hot making sure each diner gets a piece of each type of meat. This is a meal in itself.
This dish can be prepared well in advance and reheated or frozen for future use.
» France Recipes