- 50g/2oz Butter
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 x 1.6kg/3-1/2lb oven-ready Chicken
- 1 Large Onion, thickly sliced
- 350g/12oz Carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 300ml/10 fl.oz. Muscadet
- 300ml/10 fl.oz. Fresh Chicken Stock
- 350g/12oz Button Mushrooms
- 3 Egg Yolks
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg
1. Heat the oil and half the butter in a large pot or pan, add the chicken and fry for a few minutes on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
2. Place half the onions and carrots in the pan then place the chicken, breast side up, on top. Cover with the remaining onions and carrots.
3. Add the bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper and then pour over the stock and wine. This should half cover the bird. Add more stock if necessary. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
4. Add the mushrooms then turn the chicken over. Continue to simmer, covered for a further 30 minutes.
5. At the end of the cooking time, remove the chicken to a warmed serving platter. Lift out the vegetables with a slotted spoon, remove the bay leaf and arrange the vegetables around the chicken. Keep warm.
6. Return the pan to a high heat and boil rapidly for 5-8 minutes to reduce.
7. Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a pan and lightly fry the remaining mushrooms. Sprinkle over the other vegetables around the chicken. Keep warm.
8. In a bowl beat the egg yolks together with the nutmeg. Add a little of the cooking liquid to the eggs, mix well then stir into the pan. Remove from the heat and stir once. Then just stir the sauce until it becomes smooth.
9. To serve - pour a little of the sauce over the chicken and serve the rest separately in a gravy boat.
» France Recipes