- 450g/1 lb New Potatoes
- 75g/3oz Butter
- 120ml/4 fl.oz. Double Cream
- 50g/2oz Gruyere Cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Black Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, 325F, Gas mark 3 and generously grease a shallow flameproof casserole or deep gratin dish.
2. Peel and slice the potatoes thinly and soak in cold water for a few minutes. Drain and dry thoroughly.
3. Place a layer of sliced potatoes in overlapping rows on the bottom of the dish. Pour over a quarter of the cream, sprinkle with 2 tbsp grated cheese (mixed Gruyere and Parmesan), dot with butter and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Continue this process until the dish is full, finishing with a layer of grated cheese.
4. Dot with butter and cook in the oven for about 1-1/4 hours, or until the potatoes are cooked through. If the top becomes too brown, cover with tin foil for the last 15 minutes of the cooking time. Serve very hot.
» France Recipes