- 3 Eggs
- 75g/3oz Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Vanilla Bean
- 75g/3oz Plain Flour
- A pinch of Salt
- 180ml/6fl.oz. Crème Fraîche
- 90ml/3fl.oz. Milk
- 375g/13oz Fresh mixed Berries e.g. (Strawberries, blackberries raspberries, Redcurrants)
- 1 teasp Icing Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6 and lightly grease a shallow ovenproof dish (approx 1.5L/50fl.oz.)
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until frothy.
3. Split the vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds out into the egg mixture. Add the flour and salt and mix to a smooth batter.
4. Fold in the milk and half the creme fraiche, mix well and then pour about a third of the batter into the prepared dish. Bake in the oven for about 3 minutes until the batter just about sets.
5. Remove from the oven and spread the berries evenly over the top. Pour the remaining batter over the berries, return to the oven and continue baking for 30-40 minutes or until well risen. Try not to open the door during the cooking time.
6. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, mix the remaining crème fraîche with the icing sugar.
7. To serve - cut the clafoutis into 4 to 6 portions, dust with a little extra icing sugar and serve with the sweetened crème fraîche on the side.
» France Recipes