- 350g/12oz Carrots, cut into thin strips
- 225g/8oz Turnips, cut into thin strips
- 1 Onion, halved and sliced
- 100g/4oz French Beans, topped and tailed
- 50g/2oz Butter
- 675g/1 1/2lbs Calves Kidney, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- Salt and Black Pepper
1. Place the prepared vegetables in a saucepan, cover with water, add salt and bring to the boil. Cook for 3 minutes, then drain thoroughly, reserving the cooking liquid.
2. Heat 25g/loz of the butter in a frying pan. Add the vegetables, cover and cook gently for 10 minutes until tender, turning several times during cooking
3. Meanwhile, coat the kidneys with half of the flour, shaking to remove any excess flour. Heat the remaining butter in another frying pan and fry the kidneys for 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange the vegetables on a warm serving plate, top with the kidneys and keep warm.
5. Add the remaining flour to the pan and cook for 2 minutes stirring, then gradually add 300ml/10 fl.oz. of the reserved cooking liquid and bring to the boil, stirring constantly, until well blended.
6. Stir in the tomato puree and season to taste.
7. To serve -pour the sauce over the kidneys and vegetables and serve immediately.
» France Recipes