- 3 large Onions, sliced
- 50g/2oz Butter
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1/2 teasp Brown Sugar
- 1.2L/2pts Water
- 8 thick slices from a French Stick
- 4 tbsp Dry White Wine
- Salt and Pepper
- 50g/2oz Gruyere Cheese
1. Melt half the butter in a pan and gently fry the onions until transparent. Sprinkle with the flour and cook until it begins to brown. Add the sugar and mix well.
2. Add the water little by little and then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 230C, 450F, Gas mark 8.
4. Fry the bread in the remaining butter and then place the slices in the bottom of a large ovenproof soup tureen.
5. Add the wine, salt and pepper to the soup and then pour over the bread. Sprinkle with grated Gruyere and cook in oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
» France Recipes